List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Idiot proof kmenu
From:       Klas Kalass <klas.kalass () gmx ! de>
Date:       2002-06-18 16:11:28

Am Friday 07 June 2002 18:26 schrieb Christoph Held:
> Hi
>
> Most discussion here is about adding freaky features, but forget making it
> simple. If kde is supposed to be successfull in the market (I don't know if
> it is aimed to be), kde must support the 50 years old, female secretary who
> doesn't know anything but windows and hasn't yet figured out the difference
> between a single and a double click.
>
> I have modified a couple of lines and made a menu, the biggest windows
> idiot should be able to use. It is still ugly and needs further thinking...
>
> It is aimed to be an alternative option not a replacement. This (or
> something simelar) should make kde rollouts in goverments much simpler...
>
> screenshots, binaries, sources:
> http://home.in.tum.de/~held/kmenu/
This looks very nice and I liked it at first glance, but the style of breaking
up a complete sentence is problematic - do all languages on earth have a
sentence structure like this? You are German, or? How would you make this
menu in German? "Beginnen Sie hier, um ein Textdokument zu erzeugen" already
has an order of sentence-parts that does not work.

Please keep working on making the menu dead-simple to use, I hope you find a
perfect way.

Klas