List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Idiot proof kmenu
From:       Eric Ellsworth <whalesuit () softhome ! net>
Date:       2002-06-07 19:49:41

Hi Christoph,
	Welcome to the conversation... Here's some thoughts about your menu design:
The upsides:
	+ Short and sweet - I like that.
	+ I also like that it puts really common newbie tasks on the root menu.  I
think we should keep thinking on how to accomplish this.
	+ I like saying the phrase "Change your desktop settings" for Control Center
	I'd propose putting (KDE Control Center) in parenthesis.  Your phrase brings
up the semantic problem that KDE is a "Desktop Environment" which is an awful
phrase to say to novice, and one element of the "Desktop Environment" is a
desktop.

Downsides:
	- As linguistically elegant as it is to complete your sentence "Start here
... to do this task" (I always want to make sentences), I'm gradually coming
ot the conclusion that people won't often recognize it as a sentence, so
	- "to Use", "to Create", etc. sound incomplete.
	- The verbs don't make it clear

Keep hacking though, we're going places now....

Cheers,

EE