List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KOffice Dialog Box
From:       Irwin <emerald-arcana () rogers ! com>
Date:       2002-06-15 19:54:06

On June 15, 2002 05:35 am, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> if the inconvenience (pressing return) is larger than the benefits, it
> should be optional. if the benefits (which in this case are consistency and
> logical access to documents on start up) outweigh the inconvenience
> resoundingly, it should stay.

The dialog could use a bit of a UI workaround.

I find that when it opens, my eyes are drawn toward the paper sizes and as a
result, I find myself wondering what size of paper my document's starting
with.  It takes a bit of scanning the screen for me to realise that it's
telling me to start with an empty document.

And then: when I start with an empty document, what does that mean?  Does it
use a template?  What size paper does it end up starting with?  I don't
exactly know what I'm doing in this dialog.

And... for the less technical: what is a template anyways?  Isn't the "Empty"
document a template in itself?

And that's such a silly title: "Choose".  It should be renamed to something
more informative.ssh yetta

These two screenshots below are going to present the user with different
startup documents:

http://yetta.net/~arcana/kde/koffice/kword-choose1.png
http://yetta.net/~arcana/kde/koffice/kword-choose2.png

So rather than trying to argue about whether the dialog should be there or
not, we should perhaps spend some time on improving the dialog box so users
who stare at it aren't so baffled about what everything is.

I'd like to be able to have the Template Selector "hideable" somehow.... I'm
trying to think about what QT/KDE widgets might allow it... it's sort of
slipping my mind.

A "Preview" for the "document look" would be a good idea.  If you select
"Empty", the preview layout would appear.  Same with the "Template".  And
with the "Open Existing Document".  Perhaps a text caption below the preview
would be helpful:

"Empty Document"

"A4"

"Two Column"

etc.

I would like to see the "Open Empty Document" at the top of the list as well.
Most computer users scan from top to bottom.

Also, if the templates are highlighted, I'd select the entire icon, not just
the text.  If you're not checking the radio button, then you don't highlight
the icons at all.

When my scanner works I'll scan in a picture.  (I don't feel proficient enough
with Designer...)

- --
- -- Irwin
(Arcana)