List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KOffice Dialog Box
From:       Joseph Manojlovich <josephm () mail ! sis ! pitt ! edu>
Date:       2002-06-15 18:53:50

On Sat, 15 Jun 2002, Joseph Manojlovich wrote:

> Do you feel this consistency should extend across the entire KOffice
> suite? For instance, KSpread and Kivio also have this behavior, which
> is odd considering they don't have templates, that I'm aware of. In
> fact, selecting File->New in KSpread results in a curious dialog box,
> asking if you want to open an existing file, a recent file, or create a
> new document.
>
> What exactly is File->New supposed to do, really? I can understand
> having templates shown here, but asking to open a file just seems
> strange. File->Open results in a standard open dialog box; shouldn't it
> then also bring up the same dialog as File->New, to be consistent?

To add more to this, what I'm thinking here is keeping the dialog box
on all KOffice application startups, but to not use this same dialog
for File->New, and instead create a new dialog window appropriate for
each application.  For KWord, a template selection dialog, for KSpread,
maybe no dialog at all, just a new spreadsheet.

What does anybody think about this?

--
Joe Manojlovich
josephm@sis.pitt.edu