List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KOffice Dialog Box
From:       "Chris January" <chris () atomice ! net>
Date:       2002-06-15 17:40:13

> Hey everybody. After a pointless email exchange with one of the KOffice
> developers about a simple UI question, I now come to this list for
> suggestions. Perhaps I should have come here first...
>
> At question is this modal dialog box, which pops up upon the launch of
> any KOffice application:
> http://www2.sis.pitt.edu/~josephm/koffice-dialog.png
>
> My friend and I had asked for the option of not showing the dialog box
> to be available. The developer did not agree, to put it mildly, and
> proceeded to talk about how the user "can just hit enter" to get past
> the dialog, among other things. The full email exchange is available
> here:
> http://www2.sis.pitt.edu/~josephm/koffice-insanity.html
>
> I suggest reading it; It's quite amusing, I think, and informative.
>
> My question is, what do the people on this list have to say about the
> issue? I personally don't see how making the dialog box optional, for
> the 90% of people who probably don't use it/like it anyway, is such a
> terrible idea. But I'd love to hear what the KDE usability team has to
> say about it.
I am all for reducing the number of clicks required before you start typing,
but I have to agree with the developer on this one. Once you've clicked the
"don't show this dialog again" checkbox (which would add further clutter to
the existing dialog), the user is far more inconvenienced searching for the
dialog again when they actually want it.
It also sounds like you are trying to use this post to settle a personal
vendetta, which isn't on.

Regards
Chris