List:       kde-usability
Subject:    KOffice Dialog Box
From:       Joseph Manojlovich <josephm () mail ! sis ! pitt ! edu>
Date:       2002-06-15 16:59:41

Hey everybody. After a pointless email exchange with one of the KOffice
developers about a simple UI question, I now come to this list for
suggestions. Perhaps I should have come here first...

At question is this modal dialog box, which pops up upon the launch of
any KOffice application:
http://www2.sis.pitt.edu/~josephm/koffice-dialog.png

My friend and I had asked for the option of not showing the dialog box
to be available. The developer did not agree, to put it mildly, and
proceeded to talk about how the user "can just hit enter" to get past
the dialog, among other things. The full email exchange is available
here:
http://www2.sis.pitt.edu/~josephm/koffice-insanity.html

I suggest reading it; It's quite amusing, I think, and informative.

My question is, what do the people on this list have to say about the
issue? I personally don't see how making the dialog box optional, for
the 90% of people who probably don't use it/like it anyway, is such a
terrible idea. But I'd love to hear what the KDE usability team has to
say about it.

Also, I had asked for usability polls on this and other issues, to
give users more of a voice about developer choices in UI design.
Anybody care to weigh in on that idea?

--
Joe Manojlovich
josephm@sis.pitt.edu