List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: "Baloon" help
From:       Troels Tolstrup <troels () tolstrup ! org>
Date:       2002-06-11 1:51:05

On Monday 10 June 2002 21:21, Gordon Tyler wrote:
> On June 10, 2002 11:23 pm, Troels Tolstrup wrote:

> > You might be right, i still think it should have an X button for
> > those who dont think of clicking on it. Or maybe an extra popup for
> > the popup's explaining that the user can click on it to close it.
>
> I have consulted a "normal person" ;) and she agrees with that
> although clicking anywhere on the tooltip should dismiss it (which is
> what she thought of first but she's used to Windows tooltips), an
> explicit X button would be good for those who don't think to just
> click on the tooltip.

Yes, the danger is however that people will then be surprised when it
disapears when they dont click on the button. I really dont know if it
should be there or not :-|

> She also preferred the "Click here for more information" hyperlink
> instead of the ? button.

I think this was my conclusion as well

> > I added 3 new versions at the bottom of
> > http://www.tolstrup.org/kde/baloon.html
>
> I think the "5th try" is closest to what I was imagining, with the
> following suggestion from the "normal person": Add a "Do not show
> this again" checkbox.

The reason i havent done that yet is that im afraid of 2 things:

1. It makes the thing even bigger and more complex.
2. It is easy to hit by accident

> > I dont know which one is best. I also played with the idea of
> > removing the caption again, yet maybe keeping the icon, but i dont
> > know.
>
> The "normal person" also suggested that the icon was superfluous (she
> didn't notice it) since the tooltip is already pointing to the
> original icon and that maybe the titlebar shouldn't be distringuished
> from the rest of the tooltip? Does it even need a titlebar?

Hrm, good point about the icon. And if we remove the icon then i guess
we might as well remove the titlebar. But adding a title must be
possible if we are to stay source compatible with the current one.

> > This is my first real attempt to use the designer so i wouldnt be
> > surprised if my design sucks :) Anyway, it shows 2 sets of help
> > links.
>
> I have to say that this dialog confused me utterly. When I was
> thinking of a "click here for more information" link, I was thinking
> it would link to a dialog about the subject of the tooltip, like new
> mail notification. And only as a small part of that dialog would be a
> checkbox which said something like "Display tooltip on new mail"
> (better phrased of course). The checkbox actually becomes unecessary
> if it's included in the tooltip itself.

In the next version that im putting online shortly i went away from this
dialog and will instead keep the more info dialog as help only while
maybe having a help link that adds help for the popups in general as
well as details as to how to disable it. i think a context menu (right
click menu) might be a good way to do this without taking too much
space and being too easy to hit, yet easy enough to find, i hope, maybe
you could ask the real user about that :). Look for another mail where
i have more details.

> > Does it beep? =) I usually play music when using the computer ;)
>
> Ah, but I have one of those new-fangled sound cards that supports
> multiple applications using /dev/dsp so I get the beeps mixed into my
> music. A tad jarring sometimes ;)

Hrm, i know this is OT, but can you point me to a howto or something
describing how to do that? I at least think a SB Live! should be able
to do that, but mine doesnt. Or is it arts and not /dev/dsp that give
me trouble?

I really meant that i have my stereo switched to the CD or Radio input
instead of AUX though =)

Mvh
Troels