List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: "Baloon" help
From:       Gordon Tyler <gordon () doxxx ! net>
Date:       2002-06-10 21:21:12

On June 10, 2002 11:23 pm, Troels Tolstrup wrote:
> On Monday 10 June 2002 18:57, Gordon Tyler wrote:
> > I think that the most common action a user would want to do is
> > dismiss the tooltip so that should be made the easiest by clicking
> > anywhere in the tooltip.
>
> You might be right, i still think it should have an X button for those
> who dont think of clicking on it. Or maybe an extra popup for the
> popup's explaining that the user can click on it to close it.

I have consulted a "normal person" ;) and she agrees with that although
clicking anywhere on the tooltip should dismiss it (which is what she thought
of first but she's used to Windows tooltips), an explicit X button would be
good for those who don't think to just click on the tooltip.

She also preferred the "Click here for more information" hyperlink instead of
the ? button.

Awww... ;)

> ack. That is too subtle i think. I think just clicking should close it,
> not disable it. Read my comment below.

Agreed.

> I added 3 new versions at the bottom of
> http://www.tolstrup.org/kde/baloon.html

I think the "5th try" is closest to what I was imagining, with the following
suggestion from the "normal person": Add a "Do not show this again" checkbox.

> I dont know which one is best. I also played with the idea of removing
> the caption again, yet maybe keeping the icon, but i dont know.

The "normal person" also suggested that the icon was superfluous (she didn't
notice it) since the tooltip is already pointing to the original icon and
that maybe the titlebar shouldn't be distringuished from the rest of the
tooltip? Does it even need a titlebar?

> This is my first real attempt to use the designer so i wouldnt be
> surprised if my design sucks :) Anyway, it shows 2 sets of help links.

I have to say that this dialog confused me utterly. When I was thinking of a
"click here for more information" link, I was thinking it would link to a
dialog about the subject of the tooltip, like new mail notification. And only
as a small part of that dialog would be a checkbox which said something like
"Display tooltip on new mail" (better phrased of course). The checkbox
actually becomes unecessary if it's included in the tooltip itself.

> handles everything else. The easier using such a beast is the easier it
> will be to get people to use it :) But im not into the different

That sounds like a good idea. Making it easy for programmers will help to
spread its use.

> Does it beep? =) I usually play music when using the computer ;)

Ah, but I have one of those new-fangled sound cards that supports multiple
applications using /dev/dsp so I get the beeps mixed into my music. A tad
jarring sometimes ;)

Ciao,
Gordon