List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Configure Desktop Background
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () olympusproject ! org>
Date:       2002-06-06 6:48:22

On June 6, 2002 06:48 am, Poletti, Don wrote:
> >On June 5, 2002 09:47 pm, Irwin wrote:
> >>  Turning off antialiasing will improve performance.
> >
> >can't it be in both fonts and in a performance/tuning area?
>
> I've seen duplicating control mentioned a few times. Most people will
> not expect this and may fight with themselves over a setting. I think

if the settings were worded identically, i doubt it. there are alrady places
were settings are duplicated in the kcm becaues it makes sense to. the point
is to reduce the "where would that option be" guess factor

> this is just a cop-out. If its laid out right in the first place we won't
> have this problem.

i'd love to see your "right" layout for this kcm them =)

> I also think there are too many setting as it
> is, adding duplicates will just increase the shock factor.

"too many settings" has nothing to do with this. the total number of unique
settings will not rise, the number of settings in a given control panel will
not increase.. in this case, the perceived number of settings would actually
probably decrease.

> Almost everything is performance effecting just as everything is
> look-n-feel in a GUI

i believe that was what i said. however this is no reason not to aggregate
those that have the greatest effect on memory usage/performance. life is not
an all-or-nothing affair, we are allowed to use common reason here.

bleh. this argument is useless; my thought vs your though. it's very tiring.
we need some users that are at our disposal to survey. i'd love to see how
many of them would appreciate being able to tune the largest offenders all in
the same place.

>. I think a memory section necessary because
> the reason the KDE should not always calculate the optimal pixmap
> cache on its own is because memory is shared by every app and is
> effected by how the system is going to be used. So in order to

that's the reason in this case, but it isn't the reason for al the performance
related settings (such as the konqi memory settings)

> <new thought>
> Perhaps instead of setting the exact amount of memory we could just
> have combobox or slider with labels on each end like "low memory usage/
> worse performance" to "High performance/memory hog". Ok the wording
> needs some work.
> <\new thought>

what value would the low and high ends equate to?

- --
Aaron J. Seigo

    - Albert Einstein