List:       kde-usability
Subject:    RE: Configure Desktop Background
From:       "Poletti, Don" <Don.Poletti () comverse ! com>
Date:       2002-06-06 12:48:22

>On June 5, 2002 09:47 pm, Irwin wrote:
>>  Turning off antialiasing will improve performance.
>
>can't it be in both fonts and in a performance/tuning area?

I've seen duplicating control mentioned a few times. Most people will
not expect this and may fight with themselves over a setting. I think
this is just a cop-out. If its laid out right in the first place we won't
have this problem. I also think there are too many setting as it
is, adding duplicates will just increase the shock factor.

>>  Not animating the panel will improve performance.
>
>it doesn't have a great performance penalty, therefore I
>wouldn't put it
>there. every feature turned on affects performance to some degree; i'm
>thinking more about those that have a marked and consistent effect.
>
>> Not starting the panel on KDE-initialization will improve
>performance.
>
>not running KDE will improve performance. *shrug* pretty
>irrelevant, really.

Almost everything is performance effecting just as everything is
look-n-feel in a GUI. I think a memory section necessary because
the reason the KDE should not always calculate the optimal pixmap
cache on its own is because memory is shared by every app and is
effected by how the system is going to be used. So in order to
optimize memory you have to look at all the memory effecting setting
at the same time and balance them. Maybe I have 64megs and I like
to do video editing, I would need every little bit

<new thought>
Perhaps instead of setting the exact amount of memory we could just
have combobox or slider with labels on each end like "low memory usage/
worse performance" to "High performance/memory hog". Ok the wording
needs some work.
<\new thought>