List:       kde-usability
Subject:    RE: Start of the Great Control Center Indexing...
From:       "Poletti, Don" <Don.Poletti () comverse ! com>
Date:       2002-06-04 20:42:19

>> But there are other to me clearly application dialogs. In network
>> there are mail and news sections. Under personalization there is a
>> section for Konsole. Is there any chance to remove them and have
>> them only accessed by the application?
>
>konsole is a kde part and is therefore found in many other
>applications
>including konqueror, kate, kdevelop and konsole itself.
>therefore it needs to
>be somewhere easily accessable.
>
>a kde component configuration area / app would be a good idea, perhaps.

That makes perfect sense from a programers point of view
and to a smaller extent a user point of few. It is not very
obvious however and I think it clutters the CC if every part
has its own kcm. A component configuration area would be helpful in
some ways, I'll have to think about it.

Component labeling would be better than the more generic terms that are
now used. For instance the web browsing settings only apply to the Khtml
widget. Not every web browsing program. Most users technical and
newbie alike will expect setting in the web section to affect mozilla
but of course they will not.

Another possibility is to only allow access the kcm from the main
application and any application that includes the part. I really think
this would be best however this would require the apps to be changed to
allow access unless something automatic in kparts could do it.