List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: K Menu layout idea
From:       Irwin <emerald-arcana () rogers ! com>
Date:       2002-05-30 3:51:08

On May 29, 2002 22:49 pm, Eric Ellsworth wrote:
> Hi all,
> 	I just had an idea for how we could lay out the KDE menus in a way that's
> easily expandable.  I'm probably going to take a beating for the number of
> things I want to cut out, but let's get this debate rolling.
>
> This would be the simplest layout, and it would offer a way for distros to
> highlight the programs they want to place up front:
>
> K --->
> L	Lock Screen
> o	Logout eric
> g	-----------
> o	Bookmarks				Other menus can be turned on in panel config
>
> |	-----------
> |	Help
> |	Eric's Home Directory
>
> V	Search				Ideal: combine web, email, file searching
> 	-----------
> I	Use the Internet
> m	Office Work
> g	Play Games
> 1	Music and Movies
> V	Add More Programs
> 	-----------
> I	XMMS
> m	KWord
> g	Freecell
> 2	KOrganizer

I think the most interesting thing here is the odd combination of action verbs
and nouns.  It's interesting because I don't know if that's a bad thing or a
good thing.

Would "Try Other Programs" be better worded as simply, "Other Programs"?

Also, we have things like, "Use the Internet --> E-mail" or "Use the Internet
- --> Web Browser".... whereas the Office menu has "Office Work--> Openoffice"
(instead of "Office Work--> Word Processor (KWord)".

But this is being VERY specific... nitpicky even.

In general, I like this.

I guess the only thing is that people might not want to click on "Try other
programs" to look for editing the menus for example.  To alleviate this I
would ALSO put "Try Other Program for <Web Browsing>" or a similar string in
a right-click context menu on the item.  There might be implementation
problems with this... what happens if someone installs a funny app without a
predefined category (if that's even possible)?  Do they make up what it is?

But again: I like this general concept and I think we should expand on it.

- --
- -- Irwin
(Arcana)