List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: The art of not offering customization
From:       Simon Edwards <simon () simonzone ! com>
Date:       2002-05-29 20:35:59

Hi,

>  The down side here is that this
> requires a user to specify associations, which can be darn confusing.

Does it? I thought the way it worked now is that the apps register what they
can handle and the user can pick for any mime type which of the available
apps (that registered for that mime type) should handle it first.  With good
defaults, this works fine. Better than doze IMHO.

> Boot up screens and printer setups are just way beyond the scope.  At this
> time, they should probably remain so until personel from the various
> distributions also get into active discussion here.

These issues are important, but it's probably best to file a detailed bug
report with the distros, and the authors of these boot up 'screens'. The hard
part will be convincing them of the importance of these kinds of usability
issues.

--
Simon Edwards             | Guarddog Firewall
simon@simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/