List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: The art of not offering customization
From:       Simon Edwards <simon () simonzone ! com>
Date:       2002-05-29 20:45:53

Hi,

On Wednesday 29 May 2002 09:43, Kristian Koehntopp wrote:
> On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 08:47:15AM -0400, Poletti, Don wrote:
> > this out of the mouse kcm. Although I don't think its really look and
> > feel its more about control. if this is look and feel then every thing
> > is look and feel (its a gui aftere all).
>
> I do not think that logic or reasoning lead anywhere in this
> matter. About the only thing that works here is to use typical
> users of your system (like my father, for example, but also
> experienced users like me) and observe them. You may ask them
> about their experience after that, but you should pay more
> attention to their actions than to their words.

Actually the layout of the control center is probably something that can be
tested quite quickly, and without computers too...

* First we need to redesign and think out the organisation. There is little
point testing the current one, because we already know where some of the big
problems are.

* On a piece of paper, list every kcm in the control center.
* Think up a list of questions like "Where would be expect to find blah blah?"
(You might have to add a screenshot to help explain what part of the GUI the
question is talking about).
* Write the questions down too. ;-)
* Photocopy and find some people to do the questionaire.
* Analyse the results. :)
* Fix the design.
* Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Anyway here have access to normal people?

cheers,

--
Simon Edwards             | Guarddog Firewall
simon@simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/