List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE Usability White Papers
From:       Simon Edwards <simon () simonzone ! com>
Date:       2002-05-29 19:59:17

[A bit late. Having mailer troubles...]

On Sunday 26 May 2002 07:06, Irwin wrote:
> We need records of what we have concluded as a result of usability
> discussions.  Not necessarily just "archives" but in fact "reports".  As
> in, "Reports that could be published under IEEE Usability".

I understand the importance of keeping track of how and why things are being
changed, but what exactly is to be gained by taking things to such a high
level of formality? Ok, for some more subtle problems, a good explaination of
what and why is important (the combo-box delay, for example, is more subtle),
but for most of the dialog redesigns, I think a full report would be
overkill.

> Basically we should assemble a list of the most discussed topics on the KDE
> mailing list and take as many of the viewpoints as possible.

sounds like a good idea.

> If anyone
> here is a Graduate Student in Human-Computer Interaction I think there
> would be a great justification to your supervisor for doing this... it's
> like the "Top # of things that people complain about in KDE", with the
> arguments and facts to support the arguments.

Is anyone here studying/studied HCI?

If a HCI student can do this as part of thier study, then I'm all for it.

> This is hard.  However, what SHOULD be done is that every time we do a
> commit, we should discuss WHAT the problem was before we committed (with
> screenshots and an example of why it was so bad), WHY it's bad, and what we
> did to FIX the problem (with after screenshots).  It should be a mandatory
> thing with every CVS commit.  The programmer doesn't have to do it but
> someone here should.

How do you see this fitting into what I've been working on for the website?
 (I wrote the 'Activity' page thing targetted more at people external to this
 project who don't neccessarily have strongs skills in this area. i.e. normal
 people).

cheers,

--
Simon Edwards             | Guarddog Firewall
simon@simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/