List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KMail and contacts - RMB behavior
From:       "Eric Ellsworth" <whalesuit () softhome ! net>
Date:       2002-05-29 2:41:39

> now you're adding the overhead to every single email viewing =) while it
might
> help hide the impact when it comes to the kmail interface, we use (and
many
> of us depend on) the multitasking aspects of our OS. i don't need an email
> program sucking up any more CPU juice than necessary. especially since i
> usually read my emails during compiles or other such "my machine is busy"
> moments.
>
> > I just like it because it's compact, and *bonus*  you know without
clicking
> > whether the contact is in your addressbook rather than getting "you
can't
> > do this" feedback.
>
> yes, that is the benefit.... it would be most interesting to profile how
long
> it takes to find something in a large addressbook...

That it would.  My instincts are that it would depend strongly on the
indexing, which I guess is trading disk space for CPU....

> i also wonder what sort of impact this would have on ldap and other
network
> based addressbooks ...
Well there the CPU could push the work out to the LDAP server, n'est pas?

> > I thought about that.  It is nice to be able to add addresses unimpeded
:).
> > Would it still work OK if you could dismiss the dialog box with Enter
> > (i.e., the dialog came up with OK selected)?  Click, slam Enter, done =)
>
>  it would still take a bit to show the window, not to mention the
"overwhelmed
> by widget numbers" effect most users seem to experience when something
comes
> up with a bunch of controls. ...

OK, I'm sold....  Let's go with the menu scheme you outlined, and if someone
gets ambitious and wants to come back to it, more power to em.

> > > how about an "Add Address To Contact" item in the menu? (only worded
> >
> > better
> >
> > > than that ;-) ... something like:
> > >
> > > Add As New Contact...
> > > Add and Open In AddressBook...
> >
> > Good, but what if it's already in there?  How about Open Addressbook
> > Contact?
Drat, still kinda vague =[.  I think:
    Open Addressbook to this Contact
might be a little better, but it's pretty hard to stuff:
    View the Information That's Already in Addressbook About this Contact
into 3 words...

> > > Add to Existing Contact...
> >
> > That works well, too.  For Add to Existing Contact, should the searching
> > happen on a separate form, or the Edit Contact Dialog?
>
> perhaps after selecting "add to existing" a dialog would come up with a
list
> of contacts and you'd pick the one to add it to ... that dialog might also
> give the option to open the contact in the addressbook after adding the
new
> address or just adding it and returning to kmail ...

That would work and would be nice and simple.   Overall  I'm not a big fan
of those intermediate dialogs - I think you can explain things just as well
on a combined dialog, provided different sections are clearly marked =).  So
here my instincts lean towards putting the list of contacts you can add to
on the same dialog as the contact info.  But I spose it depends ultimately
on how much overhead it adds.  Guess I better add those to my list of things
to prototype....

Cheers,

Eric