List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KMail and contacts - RMB behavior
From:       "Eric Ellsworth" <whalesuit () softhome ! net>
Date:       2002-05-28 23:42:49

> On May 28, 2002 04:50 pm, Eric Ellsworth wrote:
> > + Condense "Add To Addressbook" and "Open In Addressbook" to one entry,
> > with Add appearing if the address is not in the addressbook.  Now we
have
> > less RMB items....
>
> then you'd have to look up the address in the book every time you pull up
the
> context menu instead of just when the user wants to add the address. not
good
> for performance i'd imagine....

Good point.  This does strike me as something that's well suited for
prefetching, as a message just sits there a lot of the time...the exception
I know being: sometimes when I want to add an address to the address book I
rummage through

I just like it because it's compact, and *bonus*  you know without clicking
whether the contact is in your addressbook rather than getting "you can't do
this" feedback.

> > + When adding, always bring up the entry the entry for review (Edit
Contact
> > dialog), the same as Open In AddressBook.  Here add radio buttons to the
> > Edit Contact dialog, above the two tabs:
> >         o Add a new entry
> >         o Append this address to:                Combo-box:        Names
of
> > Contacts
> > These radio buttons are only visible when you're adding an address
>
> this removes the nice, swift functionality of this feature.. as someone
who
> uses this feature, i'd say that would be highly annoying. =)

I thought about that.  It is nice to be able to add addresses unimpeded :).
Would it still work OK if you could dismiss the dialog box with Enter (i.e.,
the dialog came up with OK selected)?  Click, slam Enter, done =)

EE considers alternatives.....
> how about an "Add Address To Contact" item in the menu? (only worded
better
> than that ;-) ... something like:
>
> Add As New Contact...
> Add and Open In AddressBook...
Good, but what if it's already in there?  How about Open Addressbook
Contact?

> Add to Existing Contact...
That works well, too.  For Add to Existing Contact, should the searching
happen on a separate form, or the Edit Contact Dialog?

EE