List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KMail and addressing
From:       Simon Edwards <simon () simonzone ! com>
Date:       2002-05-28 17:47:02

Hi,

I hope you don't mind if make a few comments.

On Tuesday 28 May 2002 10:17, Andreas Mair wrote:

> > > I understand your oppinion, but I think a "<--" button should only be
> > > used if the "-->" buttons "move" the address from the left listview to
> > > the right one. Do others think "Remove" is too strong, too?
> >
> > Good point, and I agree.  My only real concern was the possibility that a
> > user might connect "Remove" with removal from the address book itself,
> > rather than just the list.  Especially since both "New" and "Edit" are
> > functions that do edit the address book.
> >
> > Most likely this isn't a critical point, and as a friend of mine likes to
> > say, "they'll get the joke".
>
> I think it should be clear the "New" and "Edit" act on the above (left)
> listview and "Remove" on the listview above it (right one).

* The "->" buttons and the "Remove" button have strong relationship but their
position on the dialog suggests that they don't (i.e. separated), which will
get people wondering what exactly it does do.

I would add an arrow to the Remove button and move it into the middle of the
dialog, just under the To, CC and BCC buttons.
eg:

[  To->  ]
[  CC->  ]
[  BCC-> ]

[<-Remove]

* Moving an address to the right should remove it from the left. (Saves some
confusion for the user).

* Use proper labels on the listviews, and not just column labels. The left one
should be something like "Available Addresses", and right one "Recipients".

* Another small thing: The UI should also explain somewhere what CC and BCC
actually mean too. Most people don't know what they mean. Strange as it may
seem.

> I'm thinking of a two column listview: the first column shows the tree with
> the names sorted by "surname, firstname" (maybe using the "file as" field
> would be best, if it once works ok) and the second column showing the email
> address like it is showed today.

Being able to sort the listviews by surname etc sounds like a very good idea.

keep going guys!

--
Simon Edwards             | Guarddog Firewall
simon@simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/