List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KMail and addressing
From:       "Eric Ellsworth" <whalesuit () softhome ! net>
Date:       2002-05-28 7:32:24

> > > Please take a look at the supplied UI file, it shows you how I think
the
> > > dialog should look. Comments wanted (and needed)!

On the plus side
First of all, nice work.  I like that you can drill down details of a users
email address.
I especially like that it handles multiple email address for a user
gracefully.

I'm worried that the listbox will require a lot of mouse clicks to navigate
down to the individual email address you want to add.
What if the type of address were in one list box:

Categories
Indivi duals
Mailing Lists
Recently Used

Then the contact info would be in another were in an a two-column list box
either between the two or below:

Name                     |         Email
+   JoAn Doe                joan@doe.uk
        |..............................joan.doe@nowhere.net
      John Doe        |        john@doe.uk

I also think we should give some good thought and testing to the use of the
keyboard now rather than later - how can you add addresses without using the
mouse?

> > I take it the concept here is to bring this dialog box each time for the
> > different address fields?  If that is the case, it should be made VERY
> > clear as to which field is being worked on at the time.  When editing
the
> > "To" list, some nice big bold text should say as much somewhere on the
> > dialog to avoid confusion.
>
> You're right, I re-thought this fact already this day and changed it a
little
> bit. Please see the attached file.

I like the three buttons, and I like the listview for holding To, CC, and
BCC.  I'd call "Addressee"  "Recipient", as it seems more general to me,
especially if you imagine integrating things like phone calls, voicemails
and videoconferences to an addressboox (which will probably happen soon).

Also, I think if you add a mailing list it should stay a  group in the
Recipients box, though you'd be able to add and remove addresses from it.

For completeness, what about a combo box above the Recipient box for From,
that lets you choose from your different identities?

> > "Remove" may be a bit too strong a word for what the intended function
is.
> > Perhaps more of a toolbar editing screen kind of implementation would be
> > more clear.  Like a simple "<--" button.

The problem with the -> and <- buttons is that -> doesn't remove anything
from the address list (nor should it, as you may want to add someone to
various fields), while <- removes an entry from the recipient list.

> I understand your opinion, but I think a "<--" button should only be used
if
> the "-->" buttons "move" the address from the left listview to the right
one.
> Do others think "Remove" is too strong, too?

Well, "Remove" could imply removing from the addressbook.  What about a
minus button where the "Remove" button currently is?  Also, how about a
"Clear" button...

> > If LDAP is to eventually get integrated into KMail's address lookup, how
> > would a dialog like this deal with it?  This is also a factor for those
> > folks with enormous address books.  A search field needs worked in there
at
> > some point. Depending on what kind of network interaction is worked in,
> > there may also need to be a way to restrict which books are searched in,
so
> > as not to glitch things when working off-line.

The LDAP tree could be an element in the types box....

> I thought a search field too. I only hadn't the time to include it yet.
> Choosing between addressbooks/LDAP will be thought of in detail, when they
are
> integrated in KMail. At the moment I see two possiblities: a) integrating
> drop-down list like Mozilla to let the user choose the addressbook or b)
> integrate other address sources as new trees in the left listview.

We definitely need a search field.  What if it became an element in the
types box?

Just for the record I'm against using the mozilla address layout because:
a) you can't just type in one name after another
b) When you have a long list of name you have to scroll down to see them
c) it wastes a lot of real estate

> > Potentially much more time involved with addressing when large books or
> > LDAP get involved.
>
> Why?
>
> > Can't see everyone being sent out to in one place.
>
> Now you can.
>
> > A couple of other suggestions just tossing out here.
> >
> > Have the dialog present "To", "cc", and "Bcc" in seperate lists on the
> > right, instead of Moz's single list for all.  A nice drag and drop
> > situation here. Had this kind of setup under a rather nice client called
> > "E-Mail Connection" under Win 3.1.  Long obsolete, company outta
business,
> > no screen shots.
>
> > Leave it as a single list for all, with an obvious dividing line between
3
> > send-to types.  The lines shuffling downward as addresses are added to
the
> > types.  The advantage being that a single scroll bar could be used to go
> > through your list.

I say leave it as it is, with the following improvements.  Each address is
actually a little screen element, that can be double-clicked (edit address)
or right-clicked (various actions, including edit address)

Later this week I'll try to make a prototype to show what I'm on about, but
I wanted to see how y'all would react to these reactions.

Cheers,

Eric