List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KMail and addressing
From:       Andreas Mair <Andreas.Mair () linogate ! com>
Date:       2002-05-27 9:50:50

Hi,

[SNIP]

> As to the usability problems, KMail's only major shortcoming in my mind is
> how it deals with addressing.  This applies to both the back end address
> book, as well as the composition window.  I've got some minor snipes
> mucking up the bottom of this write up that I thought I'd toss in for the
> heck of it.

I completely agree!
I'm currently rewritting the address selection dialog of KMail, but I still
need some help/information from others, to get it really useful/usable.

> Addressing in the Composition Window

[SNIP]

> http://Metrol.net/thinkpad/MozCompose.png
>
> Ignoring for the moment the rather obnoxious placement of the attachments,
> the addressing here is quite simple to deduce who is getting what.  Each
> address resides on it's own line.  Normally the recipient's name would be
> included with the address as KMail now does.  As new addresses get added,
> this area scrolls to accommodate.  Addresses are auto filled in directly
> from the address book or LDAP server.  Mozilla added a very KMail like drop
> down to handle the auto fill from how Ns 4.7x used to deal with this.
>
> In addition, the pop up addressing dialog provides a good visual on who all
> is being mailed.  It also provides a visually appealing way to put together
> a good one time mailing list.

I don't like that way of listing "To", "CC" and "BCC" fields, because I think
that they look overloaded. I think the KMail way is quite ok.

> http://Metrol.net/thinkpad/MozSelect.png
>
> I'm not suggesting that KMail become a Mozilla clone.  Not by a long shot.
> This is one area though that Mozilla mail excels way above the rest of the
> crowd though.  It should merit a hard usability look.

This screenshot looks quite ok, but I don't like, that "To", "CC" and "BCC"
are on the same dialog, but we can discuss it out...

[SNIP]

Please take a look at the supplied UI file, it shows you how I think the
dialog should look. Comments wanted (and needed)!

CU,
Andreas
["kmail_address_dlg.ui" (application/x-designer)]