List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: kcm_kicker changes
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () olympusproject ! org>
Date:       2002-05-16 10:16:59

hi Matthias...

> Thanks for your work, I appreciate it very much. :-) I however don't like
> the new panel location configuration. IMHO it's very confusing. Please
> think about reworking that part.

interestingly, many find it quite non-confusing and instantly obvious. it is
also similar apparently to what window maker and gnome have (i was told of
window maker before hand and gnome afterwards ... so it was only a
semi-intentional copying ;-)

we went through a few revisions that had the location buttons as simply
buttons that let you choose your options w/out any sort of visual cue as to
what they would do (much like the original) ... besides not giving the user
any sort of clue what their options would cause the panel to look like, it
was also easier to understand when the alignment and position settings were
put together. the division between "alignment" and "position" is quite
synthetic from the user's POV. however, having an array of 9 options (all the
possible combinations) is rather daunting if they are presented on their own.
the screen allows having all the options displayed and still make some sense.

the screen, of course, is the same one used for previews in other kcms
(background, screensaver) ... small icons will also be added to the buttons
showing which area of the screen the button places the panel at as well as
which one is currently selected. i know that the plain buttons right now are
pretty, well, plain and that seems to be the biggest problem w/it ATM because
not everyone immediately realizes that they are buttons you can push and that
they relate to position. i'll have icons for them shortly...

i'll also be adding in a rendering of the current background ...

> Perhaps by removing the screen picture

you really don't like the fact that you can see visually the size and length
and position of the panel before applying?

would you mind holding off judgement on this one until the icons and
background rendering are there and see what you think about it then?

> P.S.: I'm not on kde-look so please cc me.

it's kde-usability, not kde-look =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo