List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Pager - annoyance
From:       Roland Seuhs <roland () hasos ! com>
Date:       2002-05-13 18:16:53

Am Montag, 13. Mai 2002 19:02 schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> On May 13, 2002 08:31 am, Roland Seuhs wrote:
> > I know this is supposed to be a feature, but it destroys your clipboard
> > when you click accidentally on the active desktop.
> >
> > How often are you likely to change your desktop names anyway?
>
> conversly, how hard should it be to rename them when you want to?

I think right-clicking on it or clicking on the small up-arrow isn't too hard.
And you also have the possibility in changing it through the control-center.
So there are 3 ways (right-click, up-arrow, kcontrol) to do it, how many more
ways of doing it do we really need?

For example I named my desktops with right-clicking. I did not know about the
possibility to change the name by double-clicking until I accidentaly
destroyed my clipboard with it. So it's also not very intuitive to change the
name of the desktop that way, IMO.

> while i think having an accessable way of renaming your desktops is a Good
> Thing, i completely agree with you that the current way is too accessable
> ... ;-) i think dropping the feature completely is perhaps too harsh
> though; what about:
>
>  o only enter edit mode when double clicked
>  o add a "Change desktop name" entry to the RMB menu

The latter would be OK with me. (Still overkill, but at least not annoying)

> either of those should make it harder to mistakenly enter rename mode while
> retaining the ability to quickly change the name of your desktop.

I don't think there is demand of quickly changing the name of your desktop,
really.
Changing desktops and using the clipboard on the other hand are day-to-day
work which should have the priority.

Roland

--
Oliver's Law: