List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: A bit more constructive this time
From:       Eric E <whalesuit () softhome ! net>
Date:       2002-05-10 19:06:56

On Thursday 09 May 2002 10:29 pm, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On May 9, 2002 10:15 pm, Ian h wrote:
> > What I would like to do is create a
> > profile/setting vault. Considering their is no easy
> > way to move/copy/backup your prefences/bookmarks/misc
> > settings.  The app  would gather all the
> > configurations from each rc file of  core and some the
> > popular (or anything app as long as I know where it
> > stores it config file). Then create a master file(s)
> > that can be feed back into a new or network
> > installation of KDE. I think this would make KDE more
> > of solution for business because it would be easier to
> > maintain company setting and still allow employees
> > some flexiablity with a lot less direct interventions.
>
> as ryan pointed out, archiving $KDEHOME is a fairly comprehensive way of
> backing up your kde settings/data..

That's true, but I still think it would be useful for a couple reasons:

e.g. KMail stores stuff in ~/Mail

Tarballing all of $KDEHOME picks up all kinds of cached stuff, and bogus
settings.  Perhaps the only source of instability I've had in KDE seems to be
related to pickuping up stuff in cache and settings...  so an app that parsed
these could help you pick out stuff that you don't want anymore.

Also an app that was attempting to look through all a user's settings could be
a nice complement to crash reports...

> KConfig itself also allows system settings and local settings, including the
> ability to set certain system-wide settings as immutable. this allows the
> admin to do things like lock kicker's configuration down.

I'll have to play with this...

> there is also /etc/skel that can be used for such things...
Any easily readable references on how skel works?

EE