List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: optionitis
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () olympusproject ! org>
Date:       2002-02-21 10:36:28

hi.

> We may not want to code them into the functioning of the OS, but we do have
> to have a framework of what level of user will use what kind of option to
> make good decisions about where they go.

arranging options in a sensible fashion is indeed quite important, and yes we
need to do "in the wild" usability tests for the final word on such
arrangements. once we know how users actually interact with various
configuration system layouts we can make improvements (and test those, too).

by moving advanced and rarely used options away from simpler or commonly used
options, by removing certain overly esoteric options altogether, by more
logically grouping related options, by using more accurate/obvious wording,
by providing an easier to use and more immediate guide system within
configuration dialogs ... etc ... i believe we can vastly improve the
usability of the configuration systems used in KDE ...

however, hiding or rearranging options at run-time based on asking a "how
much do you know" question (or survey, for that matter) is not a good idea
for a number of reasons. i'm usually not so dogmatic on an issue, but i've
watched this get debated to death several times by people far more versed in
these matters than i am on a few different message boards / mailling lists
with the same results each time. i would prefer not to waste everyone's time
just to come to the familiar conclusion of "user levels don't work".

btw, welcome to the usability list =)

--
Aaron Seigo