List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Usability Board
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () olympusproject ! org>
Date:       2002-02-19 15:36:22

hi..

> 	- Reports are written, but we need developers to implement these changes.
> I.e - we need a set of developers willing to implement agreed usability
> defects.

i'm active in implementing fixes to issues raised on this list. but i have no
desire what-so-ever to be on a board or part of any other formal
organization. i did not get involved with kde development to end up on
committees, or answer to them. i get enough of that at work, the LUG i am a
member of, etc...

KDE itself is well regulated by various structures that have been put in
place to keep things in order, e.g. the release maintainer, release
schedules, rules on binary compatibility, message and feature freezes,
application/library maintainers, cvs accounts, etc ... none of this requires
voting, committees, boards, or anything else of the sort. it allows for a
relaxed, comfortable and very organic development style.

why should usability be treated differently than any other aspect of KDE
development? what exactly would this board provide that couldn't be
accomplished without one? how will this board improve the current state of
affairs?

i would far rather see us simply allow those who are best for the job show
they are best for the job by letting them actually do the job, just like in
the rest of KDE ...

creating a board or any other sort of beaurocratic structure doesn't
magically make something better. if anything, such formalizations cause an
increase in overhead, tax the already precious amount of time available, and
open the doors for silly conflicts and politics.

i think a board, especially one that is voted in, is a particularly poor idea.

--
Aaron Seigo