List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Usability Board
From:       Jono Bacon <jonobacon_lists () yahoo ! co ! uk>
Date:       2002-02-19 23:38:38

Hi all,

I have had an idea floating around for a little while, and luckily the good Mr
Howells weeded it out so we can discuss it.

So far, the KDE Usability Study is going in the right direction, but still has
many things to overcome to be successfull:

	- Reports are getting written, but we need to formalise this information on
the site. I have since moved maintainership to Marten Klenke, but I am unsure
what he has done so far. Can you comment on this Marten?

	- Reports are written, but we need developers to implement these changes. I.e
- we need a set of developers willing to implement agreed usability defects.

I feel what is needed is a formal board (who are voted in) which comprises of
various groups of people who handle their respective duties. I would
summarise these as the following:

	Chairman - I would take this role. The chariman organises the board and deals
with the admin of the boards work

	Writer [4] - These people write up the usability issues that have been
reported by others in the board. These writers will write the reports in a
portable format such as HTML or DocBook.

	Developers [4] - These developers will take usability issues from the reports
and implement them. Although this sounds like it will need more than four
developers - it can use more, it is just that the four developers on the
board will act as guidence.

	Testers [4] - The four testers will spend their time performing tests on KDE
and it's applications on real users and reporting these results back.

I am not saying those not the board cannot contribute - everyone is welcome,
it is just that the board will act as an official role in terms of getting
things written, tested and implemented. Each role on the board will merely
act as an official member who can take suggestions, code, test results etc
from kde-usability and work with the other board members in actually
implementing these issues.

I suggest that we set the board up and everyone interested in being on the
board should send a mail to kde-usability detailing which role they would
like to take up and why. Give a decent and clear account of what you can
offer and then we can select those who asre best for the job by voting people
in. I am happy to take the votes privaely instead of hosting the voting on
the list.

We can then look into setting up another mailing list for board members, but
kde-usability will act as the official list for discussing issues.

Comments?

	Jono