List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: A radical idea
From:       Tim Jansen <tim () tjansen ! de>
Date:       2001-11-13 22:30:58

On Monday 12 November 2001 21:06, Alistair Davidson wrote:
> As a relative *nix newbie, I've found that one of the hardest things to get
> used to is the directory structure.
> On windows, I know that if I want to look for files related to program "X",
> they're probably in "C:\program files\X\". There may be a few in
> "C:\windows\", but that's usually stuff that I only want to touch in
> extreme situations anyhoo.

Actually it is much easier on Linux to find out which files belong to a
package, use "dpkg -L packagename" for Debian or (IIRC) "rpm -ql packagename"
for rpm-based systems. This is much better than under Windows where you can
not know which files have been written to the Windows system directory or
which changes have been made to the registry.

bye...