List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: A radical idea
From:       Alistair Davidson <lord_inh () yahoo ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-11-13 22:22:50

Steffen Hein wrote:

> hmmm... I don't see the problem, really!
> Of course many people only know the windos file hierarchy, but unix' file
> hierarchy is much better and (in my opinion) simpler.
>
> /bin - most important console programs
> /sbin - root's toys ;)
> /usr/bin - console apps
> /usr/X11/bin - X11 apps
> /etc - global configuration files - much better than the windoze registry!
> .
> .
> .
>
> It's logical. People just have to read a book - not even that - You can
> explain the basic concept of the unix filesystem hierarchy on a single page,
> so there's no need to make things look "newbee friendly". They are already!

No, they're not. Who wants to read stuff to be able to understand a frickin' directory structure?

Do you think non-coders find stuff like this easy to remember? Sure, *I* know
what a binary file is, but my gran doesn't.

--
Alistair Davidson
Read my comic, Bizmatch! http://www.altgeek.org/lord_inh/comic/index.html