List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: A radical idea
From:       Carlos Arroyo Junior <carlos_arroyo () uol ! com ! br>
Date:       2001-11-12 22:57:43

On Mon 12 Nov 2001 18:06, Alistair Davidson wrote:
> As a relative *nix newbie, I've found that one of the hardest things to get
> used to is the directory structure.
>
> On windows, I know that if I want to look for files related to program "X",
> they're probably in "C:\program files\X\". There may be a few in
> "C:\windows\", but that's usually stuff that I only want to touch in
> extreme situations anyhoo.
>
> On Unix, things are far more confusing. /bin has "binary" files, which
> turns out to mean compiled programs. But there's /sbin and /usr/bin and so
> on and so on.
>
> There's /etc... I'm still not 100% sure what goes in there. There's all
> sorts of other directories. Configuration files seem to be scattered about
> willy-nilly.
>
> Now, before anybody jumps on me, I'm perfectly well aware that this
> structure makes sense from a purely technical perspective. But does it make
> sense from a usability perspective?

Sorry, but your idea is really not a good idea.
Yes, the unix directory structure  makes sense.  The unix directory
strutcture is one of the best things from unix. You should remember linux is
made for many users and networking. If you think in a computer made just for
one user who doesn't use internet or similar services, then maybe you are
right.
The unix directory structrure is a must.
What I  think should be done is: programs should be smarters and programs
should use this unix directory structure wisely.