List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: A radical idea
From:       Alistair Davidson <lord_inh () yahoo ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-11-12 23:17:33

Chris Howells wrote:

> On Monday 12 November 2001 21:34, Alistair Davidson wrote:
>
>>Me: "Anyway, that's the principle, how would it work in practise?
>>
>>An alternate file-browser that presents its own, user-friendly, directory
>>structure is one option."
>>

>>See? A KDE file browser that takes the usual UNIX directory structure and
>>represents it in an entirely different way when the user is interacting
>>with it.
>>

> Well, what your suggesting seems to me pretty much what MacOS and Windows
> have been doing for a while now. Trying to hid complicated things before a
> facade which tries to make them appear simpler.
>
> I don't know whether this is actually successful in helping the user, or now
> (although I do know that it annoys *me* immensley -- I hate software trying
> to be clever and failing miserably).

It annoys me too, sometimes... the idea was more that this would be an option.
The idea needs refinement, which is why I posted it here :)

> I'm sure that you could make these suggestions to Konqueror pretty easily, if
> you wanted to, BTW.

If I suggest this to a coder, I think they'll beat me to death with a
print-out of the POSIX specification ;)

--
Alistair Davidson
Read my comic, Bizmatch! http://www.altgeek.org/lord_inh/comic/index.html