List:       kde-telepathy
Subject:    Re: Telepathy KDE maintainership
From:       Martin Klapetek <martin.klapetek () gmail ! com>
Date:       2017-02-01 15:44:38

On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 10:59 PM, James Daniel Smith <smithjd15@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 12:00:07 PM MST kde-telepathy-request@kde.org
> wrote:
> > There *will* be bugs (you yourself have updated the RRs so many times
> > already)
>
> The new availability of Q_ENUM and the move away from Q_FOREACH did
> contribute
> to the number of revisions. So did the new-style signals and slots, the
> lambda
> functions allowing some things that were previously impossible. Lambda
> signals
> and slots alone were worth their additional changes. A number of changes
> were
> made that increased functionality after the code went up for review, this
> was
> on top of reviewer's recommended improvements.

That is what I'm saying. After reviews the functionality went up, it just
keeps
going up. Bugs go up linearly with functionality.

> >highly complicated architecture
>
> I don't think the Plugin implementation is that simple. Most of the
> complexity
> is in the PluginQueue class, which has to dispatch many different signals
> for
> the plugins, initiate changes to the plugins as well as provide a new
> presence
> or status message value from the plugin's queue. The queues are mostly
> similar
> but are fairly complex when the required logic is connected; preventing
> multiple queue activations and clumped change events is half of the queue
> signal logic. That class is also a DBus interface, potentially complicating
> the code in classes that interface it. It doesn't change the type of
> wrapped
> export variables.

There should be no plugin queue. I have specifically told you many, many
times in your RRs that the mpris thing should just die. There should be
a simple auto-away and lock-screen integration, that's it. No plugins, no
queues, no extra added complexity. Nothing like that is needed.

> >there will be *nobody* to look after those bugs
>
> The code is working and closes an unusually large number of bugs or wishes,
> and effectively finishes the status handling portion of KTp feature-wise.
> The
> plugin-related bugs weren't widely complained about or reported, but still
> the
> existing shortcomings were addressed, the code was augmented in some areas
> that led to better and cleaner separation, some (arguably important) missed
> functionality was implemented, and more KTp features can now be worked on.

Every code works on developer's machine. There will be bugs and someone
will have to take care of them. That's simply a history-supported fact, not
a random statement pulled out of the blue. There is currently noone taking
care of bugs. That is also a fact.

Given all that, my position still stands. KDE Telepathy does not need this
extreme complexity, what it needs is reducing the code and features so
that it becomes manageable for a single maintainer. And then it needs that
single dedicated maintainer that will be able to take care of the whole
project, which is already super huge.

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek