List:       kde-solaris
Subject:    [kde-solaris] Problems running kde 2.2 on Solaris 8
From:       Peter.Weiss () germany ! sun ! com (Peter Weiss, Sun Microsystems, Germany)
Date:       2001-09-06 9:50:33

Hello,

    just managed to install and launch kde-2.2 from the precompiled binaries
    on ftp.kde.org.  The special thing in this environment is that I use it
    on a dual monitor display.

    There are several problems encountered, probably I've to go back to
    kde-1.1.2 that used to run stable. So here we go:

    1) How do I launch the panel from the command line, it often crashes and
       I don't want to do the whole login/logout sequence. Same thing for the
       displaying the icons on the desktop (don't know which kde-application
       does this).

    2) X-Resources get scrumbled. Emacs can use a defined xresource of the
       background, xterm can't grab the same resource:

         # xrdb -q | grep -i cursor
         XTerm*cursorColor:      red2
         Emacs.cursorColor:      red2

         ... does only display the cursorcolor of emacs in red2, xterm's
         cursor is black Whereas the following config works:

         # xrdb -q | grep -i cursor
         XTerm*cursorColor:      red1
         Emacs.cursorColor:      red2

       Same to be said for background color (I haven't checked the whole
       config yet). Is there something wrong with /usr/openwin/lib/X11/rgb.txt
       when using KDE?

       This thing used to work with kde-1.1.2 and kde-2.0.1.

    3) Setting the language to german and C in the control center still
       brings up all messages in english.

    4) Most of the panel settings can be configured differently on each
       screen (in the dual monitor sense), but I can not have a clock be
       embedded in the panel with analog type on the left and digital on the
       right, what is what I want to use for the better date display of the
       digital one.

    Propably more to come soon... for the rest: Good work! KDE looks quite
    well in this environment.

     Thanks in advance -- Peter

--
Consultant der CLASS AG   http://www.class.de