List:       kde-solaris
Subject:    Re: [kde-solaris] 3.1 Alpha 1 linking problems
From:       Eva Brucherseifer <eva () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-07-22 7:37:29

Hi Darrell,

On Friday 19 July 2002 18:52, Darrell Esau wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm in the process of compiling KDE3.1 Alpha 1 on Solaris 8/Sparc, I'm
> running into a linking problem.. I'm wondering if anyone has faced this.

Great! I would be glad about a report how it works. Which compiler are you
using?

> I'm compiling kdelibs.. and linking libkio.la and kbzip2filter.lo
>
> I've already compiled and installed bzip2.
> I'm getting this error from ld:
> ld: fatal: relocations remain against allocatable but non-writable sections
>
> There are a bunch of symbols from libbz2.a that are listed above this
> error.. here's some examples:
>
> Text relocation remains                         referenced
>     against symbol                  offset      in file
> <unknown>                           0x3834
> /home/desau/KDE3.1/lib/libbz2.a(decompress.o)
> <unknown>                           0x3838
> /home/desau/KDE3.1/lib/libbz2.a(decompress.o)
> BZ2_bzWriteClose64                  0x2368
> /home/desau/KDE3.1/lib/libbz2.a(bzlib.o)
> BZ2_bzWriteClose                    0x3168
> /home/desau/KDE3.1/lib/libbz2.a(bzlib.o)
> BZ2_bz__AssertH__fail               0x3a4c
> /home/desau/KDE3.1/lib/libbz2.a(compress.o)
> BZ2_bz__AssertH__fail               0x36e0
> /home/desau/KDE3.1/lib/libbz2.a(decompress.o)
>
> Does anyone have any insight on this?

Probably you are using the Sun Linker instead of the gnu one. Be sure to link
everything with the ld which comes with the GNU binutils.
Also, if I recall it right from earlier discussions on this list, libs (libz
here) must be compiled with the flags '-fPIC -DPIC'. You might check the
archives at http://lists.kde.org, if you still experience problems with the
gnu linker. For the 3.0.1 packages I used freeware4sun's libz and it worked
fine.

Greetings,
eva