List:       kde-solaris
Subject:    Re: Fwd: [kde-solaris] kprinter expects libcups with symbol main()
From:       Michael Matz <matz () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-06-27 11:54:16

Hi,

On Thu, 27 Jun 2002, Matthias Welwarsky wrote:

> the solution is rather straight forward:
> you make up a dummy.c that contains something like:
> int main(void) { return 0; }
>
> then you edit the makefile.am in the directory where the library sources are
> and add the dummy.c file to the sources of libcups

Erh.  Better fix libcups to not reference main().  It's not the purpose
of libs to do that.

> I had to use this trick, too, when building the kde packages for
> solaris 8
>
> The real error is probably somewhere in libtool, but I didn't bother
> to search for it.

libtool has nothing to do with this.  Why does libcups reference main()?
Even if it has to, why isn't it using the one the application provided?
After all loading a lib only happens in context of an application, and
_that_ one has to have a main() (and it should be used, as Solaris is
ELF).  To make libcups provide it's own, is even more broken, even if it
might paper over the problem.

Ciao,
Michael.