List:       kde-release-team
Subject:    Re: Qt MathML Widget
From:       John Tapsell <johnflux () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-03-20 14:37:40

2009/3/20 Aleix Pol <aleixpol@kde.org>:

> On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 3:27 PM, John Tapsell <johnflux@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Referring to what thiago macieira said on the k-c-d list, I think that
>> > he
>> > has his point.
>> > We should only put it in kdelibs if we're forking it (what are your
>> > plans
>> > john?) and renaming it.
>>
>> I think we almost certainly want to do this, and encourage people to
>> expand on it.
>>

>> > Otherwise I'd be fine if it is in a separate library in kdesupport, but
>> > since they don't ensure ABI stability i'm not sure whether that would be
>> > good idea.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Aleix
>> >
>> > PS: I'm not on this list, CC me if tehre is any other message on this
>> > subject please.
>> >

> Wouldn't it be a better idea to keep the work on KFormula? we don't want 2
> KDE codes doing the same thing!

It might be worth dropping the KDE4 KFormula.
I would suggest either:

*) Go with QtMMlWidget.  It works.  It's read only, but it's still
useful and if we can pry open the API a bit we could get it working in
KOffice.  Adding editing can be then done on top, building on an
already supported base.

*) Redo the port of KDE 3's KFormula, removing the fairly minimal
KOffice specific code.

I estimate the second option to be a solid two week's work for an
experienced KDE developer.

I think the first option is the more stable option and is ready now,
even if it's not up to the feature level of KDE 3's KFormula.

John