List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Merchandising... continued and sponsoring options as phillipe suggested
From:       Darian Lanx <content () openprojects ! net>
Date:       2001-07-12 16:31:18

Hello ;)
First of all, thank you eva, for pointing out, that alittle bit is allready
being done for the european market. However, are there any advancements
towards the US market?
Even though this might sound arrogant, but I think, that most US youngsters
are quite trigger happy when it gets to buying "geek stuff" and we might have
a very good chance of finding a rich, unsated market over there.
I do realize, that the initial setup would be rather hard, but since the
initial material seemed to come from the KDE League itself, and Andreas is in
the US, it should be easier in my opinion.
Selling those thing, maybe only via the web, should give KDE another boost,
simply by being present , not by imposing on people or by forcing them into
something, but by being there.
I think , what has been shown to me by eva's URL is a great start.

Concerning the donation stuff.
Of course, we could setup a paypal account, I would be even willing to pay
for the setup fee and the fee it costs to uphold that account, yet I am sure,
that there will be trouble who gets to play with that money, who may have
access and so on. Do not get me wrong here, I honestly do not wish to be
involved in politics of the KDE core members, but I think I would do no one a
favour if I offered this.
Paypal is indeed a rather convinient way for anyone to donate small or even
large amounts of money to a specific person or "project". If somone from the
KDE League or even someone from the KDE e.v. could open such an account I am
sure, that people would be willing to give us some money.
I am aware, that paypal excludes those who are not willing to pay something
using their credit card and maybe younger people who simply do not own one
(yes it is uncommon in europe to own acredit card as youngster :) ).
Personally I think, that paypal would be a nice and easy way to set this up,
along with a page on kde.org that lists very much in detail how much has been
donated, wht it has been withdrawn for and how it has been used in the end.
Again, I would set this up, I would pay the fees, but I think, that I would
be no help if I did this.
Thank you
-d
--