List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Zine : mea-culpa, let's go, reacting ...
From:       LEFEBVRE Herve <aegir () free ! fr>
Date:       2001-06-22 22:48:19

Hello everybody,

Firt of all, a little disclaimer. I must say that english is not my native
language. So, maybe you will think I'm rude while reading this post. I
apologize, and just say I do not want to be rude. My english is just too poor
to explain precisely what is in my mind :-)

So, for those who doesn't know who am I, I'm this stupid guy who, a day of
mach 2001, has sent to the kde-promo list a message titled "what about a kde
magazine ?".

Then, a lot of people liked the idea, and went to this project. The first
days, I've done what everybody expect from a guy who has an idea wich becamed
an actual project. I've read every email,post, writing down some digests etc.

Then, some things happened, I had  a baby, and due to some kind health
problems i've been far from the net for a while. Unfortunately, I didn't have
internet connection at home, so I've posted some messages on the list to
explain that i'll be back during the summer, when i'll have my DSL connection
at home (in France local calls are expensive, so RTC connection can't be
usefull). I've also said that, when I'll be back, even if I'm the last on the
preject, I'll release at least a first issue for the magazine.

Well, now, the summer is there since yesterday,  and France Telecom has set
up my aDSL connection 2 days ago :-) (6 monthes after my request) I'm in the
schedule ;-)

From times to times, I've read some of the tons of emails about "kde-zine".
I've read a lot a quarrels :-/

I've decided to not read all archives, I do not want to know all the stories.
I've just read some of the emails of the last thread about the magazine cover.

Here is the current state : I'm back, i've decided to give the zine about 1
hour each day, i've a permanent I speed connection to the net, so with a
dynamic DNS a can even set up a server almost quickly if needed.

I feel guilty to have been away from the project, but now i'm bak and won't
be away again.

I do not know the current state of the project, I'll need to ask again to
Christopher what is my CVS account, writing down the list of people actually
involved in the project etc...

So, if someone can explain me what I can do for help, he is welcomed :-)
Anyway, I'd like to say some little things. I  think we are doing a lot of
mistakes in the project management. We are forgetting that this is a free
"software" project.

In such free projects, we have to accept what peoples are giving. We have to
deal with what have been given. If for a part, 2 contributors have given the
same thing, the the community choose the one wich is the most valuable for
the project. If we had only one contributor, we have to accept what he have
done, if someone hates what a contributor has given, then he has just to keep
in silence, and work on his own version, and when it's done submit it. If no
contributor have given something for a part ... well, we have to deal with
this lack. Nobody can say "now you *must* do that". We do not need a
benevolent dictator, we want to produce a "KDE Magazine" not "Dwarf magazine"
;-)

Also, as I've said, i've read quicly some part of the thread about the cover.
I strongly disagree with Shawn.  As he said, the artwork is superb. He said
that it's not good for a magazine cover ? Yes, maybe he's right. But as long
as we do not have anything else, this one should be used. (I just disagree,
i'm not saying Shawn is the benevolent dicator, OK ? )

Anyway, the project must go on, and I will go on.

regards,

--
Hervé LEFEBVRE
aegir@free.fr