List:       kde-promo
Subject:    RE: re [kde-promo] re: attention Andreas
From:       "Case" <case () rpoptions ! com>
Date:       2001-06-21 19:16:41

Before I jump in, a disclaimer: I haven't seen the picture (although I tried
on several separate occasions to view it).  My understanding of the picture
is that it portrays a beautiful woman wearing little clothing, and looks
similar to a cartoon version of Laura Croft.

In my opinion, this is probably not "sexist" (according to the dictionary
definition provided), but could result in a decision of people in some
cultures not to buy or pick up the magazine.  It is possible to imagine what
kinds of things people might think about while making the decision to pick
up the magazine:

1) "What will I get from this magazine"
2) "What will other people think I am getting from this magazine"

If the person is embarassed by the answer to 2, they might not pick up the
magazine at all.  If the answer to 1 isn't correct, then the magazine either
has to pull a bait-'n-switch tactic (you got the magazine because of the
pretty girl, but now that you're here don't you love the articles?) or the
customer will just put the magazine down and reach for another.

Based on these questions, and my own personal experience, I think that a
cover such as this would probably sell more copies to women than men, since
men might be reluctant to seem like they are reaching for the one computer
magazine that shows a picture of a woman rather than the technology, and
women do not (as often) share this inhibition.

Case

PS. As an aside, imo, while it might be inaccurate to describe this as
"sexist", it does tend towards the objectification of women because the
portrayal of perfectly proportioned females overamplifies the importance of
a woman's physical condition over other attributes of her personality or
character.