List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: re [kde-promo] re: attention Andreas
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       2001-06-21 19:13:25

Christopher Lee Fleck wrote:

> Huh?  I need a wake up call?
>
> Now, most of the men that I know and talk with wouldn't mind being as
> attractive as the girl in that picture (in a male sense, of course).  Most
> women would not mind being that girl either.  That is a truly beautiful
> woman.  Why is it that you cringe away from her beauty rather than bask in
> it?  This is what the human form is capable of, and I think that it's
> awesome.

Hello,

If she was so beautiful but fully dressed and using a computer I would
agree with you.  However, a quite reasonable interpretation of the image
is that she is being portrayed as an object of sexual desire -- i.e. a
sexual object -- rather than as a computer user or anything else related
to KDE.

Also your statement about males wanting to be attractive shows you
clearly don't understand the issue (agreeing with it is another thing,
but before you can decide if you agree with it you have to understand
it).  Sure most people want to be desirable but males can be quite
desirable in society without being physically attractive whereas
pervasive social stereotypes portray sexuality as essentially the only
valuable attributes of women.

Anyway this is not the forum to be discussing social stereotypes and
gender bias.  I think it is enough to note that the objection is one
that deserves to be respected, even if you don't agree with it.

Ciao,

Dre