List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Speaking of the KDE league...
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       2001-06-07 16:45:38

Eva Brucherseifer wrote:

> Dear Andreas and whoelse feels himself as being part of KDE Leage,
>
> > > I was asking myself, where is the kde league?
> >
> > The homepage is http://www.kdeleague.org/.
> >
> > > Are there any officials of the KDE league reading this mailing list, if
> > > so which?
> >
> > That would be me; not sure if anyone else lurks here.
> >
> > > Is there any spokesman or person the various independant promo
> > > projects and sites can get in contact with, so the kde league might take
> > > actions in favour of them?
> >
> > You are welcome to email proposals to
> > kde-league-commitee@trolltech.com.  Please be as specific as you can in
> > terms of what you are looking for.
>
> sorry, but after reading your answer, I am wondering, if KDE League is part
> of the KDE community or if it is only a bunch of people who takes all the
> money coming from big companies such as IBM, SuSE, Red Hat, etc. (I don't
> expect this, but who knows...) Why are the people not subscribed to the
> mailing lists? Who is in there anyway? What are you doing? The homepage is
> not very imformative...

Hi,

If I can take your questions one at a time.

(1)  Yes, the KDE League is part of the KDE community.  As I mentioned
earlier, the League is in the process of finalizing the budget, and once
that happens, I think you will see the visibility increase quite a bit.

(2)  I am subscribed to this mailing list.  The League has an Executive
Committee, whose members are myself, Chris Schlaeger and Eirik Eng.  The
membership at large consists of representatives of the companies listed
at the League homepage.

(3)  We are currently working on finalizing the budget.

(4)  Unfortunately nobody has volunteered to update the homepage.  If
you or someone else on the list would like to volunteer to help with
this, please let me know.  I have a number of things in mind for the
site . . . .

> Right now I am in the organisation team for the KDE booth for the Linuxtag in
> Germany, which is probably the biggest event for KDE, since KDE is _very_
> popular in Germany. So it should be possible, to get some money for
> organizing this... But all people tell me is, "there is no money for making
> flyers for linux expos, there no money for this, there is no money for that".
> What happens to the money. I thought (maybe this was stupid) that KDE League
> exists in order to provide promotion and promotion material.

The KDE League has a quite small budget.  Promotion is very expensive.
We have had to make some hard decisions about what to try to get into
the budget, and many things that are important will not get funded.
From the outset the most important thing was getting media coverage for
KDE, as generally this is the cheapest and most effective promotional
method, and you can expect this to be the focus of the KDE League.

> Why don't KDE have professional posters and flyers (instead of these
> home-made not very-colorful 300dpi ink jet prints). Why don't we have CDs to
> sell? Where are the KDE t-shirts to sell? What about the marketing?

Regarding posters and flyers, the way it looks (we will know more in the
next few weeks when the budget meeting ends) the League will have a
budget item to support things like this.  However the infrastructure to
support this -- from information on the website to perhaps a form people
can use to submit requests -- is not yet in place, and, as I mentioned
earlier, volunteers to help implement this are welcome.

> > > Is there any centralized structure for requestion sponsorship or funding?
> > > Is there a certain procedure one has to follow, is there a website? are
> > > there certain prerequisits one has to fullfill in order to being
> > > considered by the League for "help"?
> >
> > There isn't a policy in place at this point for sponsoring projects.  We
> > are currently finalizing the budget and once that is done we will move
> > toward addressing issues such as whether a formal procedure makes sense
> > and if so what its outlines will be.
> >

> So, what happened already in the 6 months KDE League exists?

Organizational things to a large degree; as well as fund-raising.
Unfortunately we have been hampered by a series of things that have to
go in a certain order and each piece takes some time.  Inside the next
month you really should see a lot more activity from the League.

> > > All those questions keep swirling in my head and I honestly
> > > wonder...where are they ?
> > >
> > > This is not meant as criticism, for that I do not understand well enough
> > > how they work, but I would like to get in touch with some of them to help
> > > me and the zine and its development.
> >

> Looking forward to an answer,
> eva

Regards,