List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Speaking of the KDE league...
From:       Tink <tink () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-06-07 16:23:41

At 15:48 +0200 06/07/01, Eva Brucherseifer wrote in Re: [kde-promo]
Speaking of the KDE league...:

> Right now I am in the organisation team for the KDE booth for the Linuxtag in
> Germany, which is probably the biggest event for KDE, since KDE is _very_
> popular in Germany. So it should be possible, to get some money for
> organizing this... But all people tell me is, "there is no money for making
> flyers for linux expos, there no money for this, there is no money for that".
> What happens to the money. I thought (maybe this was stupid) that KDE League
> exists in order to provide promotion and promotion material.
>
> Why don't KDE have professional posters and flyers (instead of these
> home-made not very-colorful 300dpi ink jet prints). Why don't we have CDs to
> sell? Where are the KDE t-shirts to sell? What about the marketing?

Eva,

Being married to Waldo gives me some insight and knowledge others
maybe don't have.

I know there is money for promotional activities. I also know that
some of it is used for paying press agents to print the KDE
announcements. But there is money, maybe not from the league, but
from sponsors before the league era.

2 years ago when we were living in Nurnberg it was decided within the
core developers team that there should be a brochure, flyers and
business cards.

I have been working on professional looking flyers, posters and
business cards twice. I did spend a lot of time designing them,
gathering information that should go into a brochure, researching
which professional printer would be cheap and would still deliver
quality work. Also researching print on demand options. When my
designs were ready I presented them to the core-developers. They
should agree on the design, I made several models. After that I
emailed for months trying to force a decision. Nothing, no response
whatsoever. No need to say I was heavily dissapointed. So it didn't
go anywhere.

After that SuSE tried to make some business cards for KDE. After they
collected all the info what had to go on the cards, no one heard from
them again. Till all of a sudden last fall someone started to mention
them again. I was a bit pissed off because they made it sound like it
was a new bright ide when I already had put in many many hours to
design something professional looking for them, that they just had
thrown away.

According to the core team it's not their priority having flyers,
businesscards or a brochure. As long as there are people like you and
others who make flyers on their own printers and which maybe poor
quality but reasonable looking, they're satisfied. Why should they
spend 3000/5000 DMark on something they can get for free? I tried to
point out that it's so much more professional if you have a good
quality of promotional material but they just don't seem to get it.

I guess due to lack of people who can and will take decisions in this
matter this isn't going anywhere and things will stay as they are and
KDE will always have the image of nerds who are hacking linux instead
of the profesional and glamourus looking desktop it can be.

I for one have given up, every once in a while someone who needs to
go to a conference will complain about the lack of businesscards or
the lack of flyers. They will do out and print some poor quality
business cards on their printer and flyers too and that's it. it has
been like that for years and I don't see it change.

--
Tink
--

"First be who you really are, then do what you need to do in order to
have what you want."