List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Which Linux distro/version should we use to place KDE on
From:       Chris Howells <chrish () gmx ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-05-23 0:24:03

Rinse de Vries wrote:

> That is the question that a Dutch computer magazine is asking,
> They want to place a precompiled version of KDE on their cdrom, but they
> don't know which version to use.
> Which distro is most common, but does not ship with the latest version of
> kde?
> Is it possible to use generick binairies that are usable on the mos
> common Linux distro's?

Well, not really -- there are binaries for the specific distributions
due to the minor differences betweeen them (such as versions of certain
libraries). The source code is generic to any distribution however.

I hate to say this (I use Debian ;) ), but most people will probably use
RedHat, Mandrake, or SuSE.

--
Cheers,

Chris Howells -- chris.h@gmx.co.uk