List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: Yet unannounced Plasma TV UI project
From:       Leszek Lesner <leszek.lesner () web ! de>
Date:       2020-03-22 23:15:06

Hi,

my 2 cents to this

> In the Promo team we were struggling a bit with the "Plasma Bigscreen" n=
ame.
> There are several problems with it:
>
> 1. "Big Screen" is usually used to refer to "cinema", not TV
> 2. if you abbreviate it (and people will abbreviate it) it does not look
> good: Plasma BS
> 3. it does not look very good written down as it is very long
> 4. it is not very memorable

In all honesty those reasons are not very valid imho.
The "big" emphasizes that its not like a normal TV box replacement system.
It offers more features. Free and OpenSource and privacy friendly Voice
assistant.
Remote control your TV via CEC so you can use your own controller.
Skill Support of many many apps/skills of the free and open source world
and the possibility to expand the functionality.

I think all of this justify the name "Bigscreen".
It opens up your TV experience and makes it "bigger".
Also it opens up the Plasma functionality and offers lots of its features
on a big screen which TVs usually are nowadays.

> We have several alternative suggestions for names that may work better:
>
> Plasma Deka ("deka" means "big" in Japanese)
> Plasma Show
> Plasma Beam
> Plasma Home

Those names fail to emphasize the core features in my opinion. Its too
ordinary and blunt.
* Deka -  would be unique but not directly understandable
* Show - sounds like a video player only
* Beam - Projector or beamer centric imho
* Home - sounds like a voice assistant only

Greetings
Leszek Lesner