List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: Helping to clarify Promo scope & reponsibilities
From:       Paul Brown <paul.brown () kde ! org>
Date:       2019-10-23 13:47:34

On miércoles, 23 de octubre de 2019 14:29:20 (CEST) Roman Gilg wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 1:01 PM Paul Brown <paul.brown@kde.org> wrote:
> > On miércoles, 23 de octubre de 2019 12:40:00 (CEST) Roman Gilg wrote:
> > > Do they have rights different from other Promo community members in
> > > relation to our marketing resources? As far as I know yes, when
> > > thinking about online logins to Twitter and so on.
> >
> > No. Access is managed by sysadmins.
>
> Obviously I was talking about actual day-to-day access and not
> theoretical one by sysadmins in case something goes wrong.
>
> > > Is there then a
> > > process defined to allow other members to acquire these rights such
> > > that they can help with this ground work and enable contractors again
> > > to do the coordination part (assuming that this is their
> > > responsibility to begin with).
> >
> > Yes: https://community.kde.org/Promo/Guidance/DosDonts#Access_Policy
>
> I don't want to discuss this in detail and wait instead for the
> clarification results of the board, but I was asking for a process
> being defined how to gain these rights not about a policy how to keep
> them once you have them.

You have not read the policy correctly. It states how to achieve access to
posting.

> I assume sysadmins don't go around asking
> random people in Promo channel if they want to become responsible for
> our social media output.
>
> The policy just states that "access is controlled to ensure quality".
> So who controls the access? I'm not saying what you do is wrong at the
> moment but it is not clear how it's done. Is there a process defined,
> for example a vote, a top-down decision through council, contractors,
> single stack holders?

Usually someone from Promo asks for rights. We check the policy and, if they
meet the criteria, we request access for them from sysadmin.

It is not a very formal process. It is usually like "Oh! You've been around
for a while, you've helped out and haven't done anything crazy. Allow me to
introduce you to Ben...".

> The social media people page [1] states at the moment that the very
> important KDECommunity Twitter and YouTube accounts are controlled by
> the "Promo team". Who is the "Promo team"? If it's the full Promo
> community group like other sites indicate [2], does this mean that for
> example all 73 members of kde promo Telegram channel know the
> KDECommunity Twitter account password?
> I guess not. So what subset of people is it then?

It is the subset of people that belong to Promo, fulfill the criteria laid out
in the policy and have requested and have been granted access.

Not everybody needs a password, by the way. On Twitter, for example, we access
posting via Tweetdeck, which means you do not require credentials at all:
Sysadmins just add your account to their Tweetdeck's team account.

It is also similar in Facebook: admins add your personal account to the list
of "editors" and then you can post. This is also similar to Google-based
services, like YouTube, and, if I remember right, LinkedIn: you don't get
credentials, you just get your personal account added to a team.

If a poster moves on, becomes inactive or misbehaves, admins, in most cases,
just need to remove their privileges.

Cheers

Paul
--