List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: KDE's presence on Mastodon
From:       Ivana Isadora Devcic <isadora () kde ! org>
Date:       2017-07-05 3:18:25

Dear Valorie,

when mentioning the Telegram chat, Paul was referring to our (his and mine)
discussion on Telegram, not any general/public channel. We (=Paul and I)
have regular meetings with the Board due to the nature of our working
relationship with KDE e.V. I hope you understand there are some matters
that need to be discussed privately.

I agree that communication has to improve ASAP. In fact, the Promo
Contributor survey that ended last week was meant to gauge, among other
things, the communication platform that people would prefer for promo
activities.

Since Telegram/any other messaging app didn't "win" the majority of votes,
it's unlikely that we'll create a channel - unless more people come forward
and explicitly express their desire for that. (And yes, before anyone jumps
at me - the survey results will be announced and summarized here as soon as
I'm done creating some nice graphs for y'all :)).
But in any case, we would never create a channel without announcing it here
and elsewhere in the community.

As for the issue of Paul "not asking anyone or announcing the creation of
social medial handles", I would just like to point everyone to this
Phabricator task:

https://phabricator.kde.org/T5784

where Paul first mentioned the possibility of creating a Mastodon account
almost 3 (three!) months ago. This is completely public - anyone on
Phabricator could have commented on this. But no one did. Of course, it's
possible that no one noticed, or maybe people wanted to comment, but forgot
to do it. Just like Paul maybe simply forgot about the social-media mailing
list.

It happens - there was really no need to make so much fuss about it...
Besides, social media is part of promo, so there's nothing wrong in
discussing social media-related issues on this mailing list (at least in my
opinion).

The important thing is that we have expanded our social media presence to
another platform, and this means great potential for outreach.
So maybe we could focus on brainstorming ideas to make the best use of
Mastodon? :)

Best regards,
Ivana Isadora

--