List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Plasma 5
From:       Martin Klapetek <martin.klapetek () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-05-12 8:04:11

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 6:08 AM, Valorie Zimmerman <
valorie.zimmerman@gmail.com> wrote:

> Be fair though, Martin. Those are KDE sites! So it takes people
> knowing that they are running KDE to even think of contributing their
> comments or screenshots.

That's precisely the core of the argument - people are *not* running KDE as
"KDE" is the community. All I said was that people still call their system
KDE and will continue to do so, and as you point out, even on KDE sites
people are getting it wrong as they are actually running KDE Plasma with
KDE Applications, as Albert said. But even there, in those very examples,
you can see the need for one single-word designation for the system from
our users. Sure, it's not a representative sample, but it does give an idea.

> Back when I first starting running linux, it was Mandrake, which I
> knew, because that was where I went to get updates and upgrades. My
> son explained KDE and GNOME, and I chose blue, not brown.
>
> I never thought then of the people who created, and distributed the
> software; just that it was free, and made by people for people, rather
> than by corporations for other corporations.
>
> Slowly through the years I began to meet some of the people actually
> making the software, running the community structures, writing the
> documentation, packaging, and so forth. At that point, I started to
> realize how the communities were organized, who was "upstream"
> "downstream" and so forth. This was a good *ten years* into my running
> Linux on the desktop! It is thanks to Linuxchix that I met some of the
> people who make the software I use.
>
> Most of our users do not know what KDE is, or who we are, or what we
> do. They know Linux, probably know their distribution, and *perhaps*
> the desktop. If we market Plasma, it will be to the geeks who already
> know us -- many of whom are waiting for "KDE5". I hear it every day in
> #kde and #kubuntu.

Exactly. I see it all around and it's why I think people will call it KDE5
no matter what version of KDE Apps they are running and is also what I said
previously. But I don't want to keep arguing this forever, especially as
this thread is about something else, so I'm dropping it right here.

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer