List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Plasma 5
From:       Valorie Zimmerman <valorie.zimmerman () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-05-12 4:08:59

On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 1:17 PM, Martin Klapetek
<martin.klapetek@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 10, 2014 at 5:29 PM, Ingo Klöcker <kloecker@kde.org> wrote:
> >

> > I'm amused about this whole discussion. As Albert correctly pointed out,
> > pretty much all non-geeks will call what they are running either "Linux"
> > or, more likely, "<insert name of distro>".
>

> I'm amused you're telling me to go ask users and yet you say yourself the
> above as absolute truth.
>

> > If you want to know what term (or terms) the rest of our users use, then
> > go ask them (and make sure you ask them in a way that does not force
> > them to give the answer you want to hear). Speculating about what
> > term(s) they use on a list where everybody knows more or less exactly
> > what each part of KDE ... uhh ... I mean everything created by KDE is
> > called makes little sense IMO. But please continue anyway. :-)
>

> I don't even need to go ask them, just look at our very own Google+
> community here:
>
> https://plus.google.com/communities/102942756287167879504
>
> Scroll down for about a minute and count how many times people call the
> system "KDE".
>
> Then please do the same on Facebook here:
>
> https://www.facebook.com/kde
>
> and read "Recent Posts by Others on KDE" and again do count the occurance of
> "KDE" as a system.
>
> I actually have done my homework prior to "speculating" :)
>
> Cheers
> --
> Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer

Be fair though, Martin. Those are KDE sites! So it takes people
knowing that they are running KDE to even think of contributing their
comments or screenshots.

Back when I first starting running linux, it was Mandrake, which I
knew, because that was where I went to get updates and upgrades. My
son explained KDE and GNOME, and I chose blue, not brown.

I never thought then of the people who created, and distributed the
software; just that it was free, and made by people for people, rather
than by corporations for other corporations.

Slowly through the years I began to meet some of the people actually
making the software, running the community structures, writing the
documentation, packaging, and so forth. At that point, I started to
realize how the communities were organized, who was "upstream"
"downstream" and so forth. This was a good *ten years* into my running
Linux on the desktop! It is thanks to Linuxchix that I met some of the
people who make the software I use.

Most of our users do not know what KDE is, or who we are, or what we
do. They know Linux, probably know their distribution, and *perhaps*
the desktop. If we market Plasma, it will be to the geeks who already
know us -- many of whom are waiting for "KDE5". I hear it every day in
#kde and #kubuntu.

Valorie

--
http://about.me/valoriez