List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Plasma 5
From:       Martin Klapetek <martin.klapetek () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-05-11 20:21:46

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Sat, May 10, 2014 at 3:36 PM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid@kde.org> wrote:

> El Divendres, 9 de maig de 2014, a les 23:35:23, Martin Klapetek va
> escriure:
> > On Fri, May 9, 2014 at 10:38 PM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid@kde.org>
> wrote:
> > > That's because they are all called 4.x and why we should stop calling
> our
> > > 3
> > > future releases all 5.x ;-)
> >
> > You missed the point :)
>
> You missed the point :)
>
> > Majority of users will still perceive the desktop
> > environment served by distros as one whole, they will not know and most
> > probably not care that it's three completely separate things; to them it
> > will all be one whole suite. All part of "the desktop".
>
> And that's why my father thinks he's running "Linux" or at most "KUbuntu",
> people knowing which specific desktop they are running are geeks/power
> users.
>
> And geeks/power users usually read the news for stuff they use, and once we
> start announcing three different things won't be able to call if "KDE 5"
> if we
> make sure 5 is not the common denominator of the naming of them.

Just wait and see...that's where I leave it now :)

>  >
> > That's what people are used to from everywhere else btw - GNOME (shell +
> > apps + gtk), LXDE/LXQt (whole shell + apps), XFCE (shell + apps), OS X
> > (shell + apps + cocoa), Windows (shell + apps), Android (basic system +
> > basic apps + Google system), iOS etc etc. What I'm trying to say,
> > everything around us, that is similar to what we produce, has one unified
> > name that encompasses the shell, basic apps and sometimes the toolkit
> too.
> >
> > People /will/ look for one single word/name to call whatever distros show
> > up after booting. I don't believe anyone would say "hey dudes, so I'm
> > running Plasma 5, KDE Applications 4.17 and Frameworks 5". It's awkward,
> > long, tongue-tieing etc. It's just simpler for people to say one single
> > word which everyone will understand, be it "Plasma" or "KDE". One word to
> > rule them all.
>
> Sure, they may end up saying they are running Plasma XY, but that is
> correct,
> they are running Plasma XY with some apps, that may be or not from KDE
> Applications release.

Which is why I asked in the first place, will/should "Plasma" be the name
for the whole shell/workspace/apps experience, the "KDE experience" that
Alex Fiestas was once blogging about and should we promote it as such? Or
is the name "Plasma" intended only and only for the shell?

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer