List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Plasma 5
From:       Ingo =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2014-05-10 15:29:15

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 10 May 2014 16:42:47 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Friday, 2014-05-09, 23:35:23, Martin Klapetek wrote:
> > On Fri, May 9, 2014 at 10:38 PM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid@kde.org>
wrote:
> > > That's because they are all called 4.x and why we should stop
> > > calling our 3
> > > future releases all 5.x ;-)
> >
> > You missed the point :) Majority of users will still perceive the
> > desktop environment served by distros as one whole, they will not
> > know and most probably not care that it's three completely separate
> > things; to them it will all be one whole suite. All part of "the
> > desktop".
>
> I am not so sure.
> At the moment that is caused by the SC release which bundles
> everything.
>
> I find it likely that people will continue to use KDE x.y when
> addressing the workspace product, no matter if it is called Plasma
> a.b or something else, but I don't see how they would call both the
> desktop as well as all applications KDE once they are no longer
> released together.

I'm amused about this whole discussion. As Albert correctly pointed out,
pretty much all non-geeks will call what they are running either "Linux"
or, more likely, "<insert name of distro>".

If you want to know what term (or terms) the rest of our users use, then
go ask them (and make sure you ask them in a way that does not force
them to give the answer you want to hear). Speculating about what
term(s) they use on a list where everybody knows more or less exactly
what each part of KDE ... uhh ... I mean everything created by KDE is
called makes little sense IMO. But please continue anyway. :-)

Regards,
Ingo