List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Plasma 5
From:       Markus Slopianka <kamikazow () gmx ! de>
Date:       2014-05-08 20:08:00

On Thursday 08 May 2014 21:10:46 Sebastian Kügler wrote:

> Within the Plasma team, many of us would like to go forward using version 5
> for our upcoming release ("Plasma 5"). We'd like to propose it to be taken
> forward. (The version "in the code" is already at 5, anyway.)

I told you months ago that flip-flopping on the version number is bad
marketing after you called the next Plasma "version 2" for over a year. Back
then you guys insisted that ignoring the guy who works in marketing and using
"Plasma 2014.06" was a great idea and now you flip-flop again?
If you call it "Plasma 5" you'll definitively end up with everyone referring
to it as "KDE 5".

The version number that has been promoted the widest is still "Plasma
(Workspaces) 2". See for example
https://duckduckgo.com/?q="plasma+workspaces+2"+site%3Aaseigo.blogspot.com
https://duckduckgo.com/?q="plasma+2"+site%3Aaseigo.blogspot.com

Maybe you should fix the code and change the necessary instances of
"Plasma/KDE 5" to "Plasma 2".

> It communicates continuity

No, it communicates flip-flopping as stated above.

> It solves a bunch of technical inconsistencies (plasmapkg2 vs kcmshell5 --
> why has one the 2 appended, the other 5?), library sonames are 5 as well.

Fedora's KDE packagers say that installing "KDE 4" and "KDE 5" simultaneously
won't be supported anyway. Why kcmshell5 then? Why not simply kcmshell?
Why do you think average users will look at that anyway?

> It indicates (like we did traditionally) that this is the 5th major version,
> building on a new Qt5, and Frameworks 5, we get to re-use that kind of
> consistency.

For years you guys stressed that Plasma was the first generation of an
entirely new desktop shell and now it's not?

I don't get it...